Sunday, April 8, 2018

Performance Art Video


Performance Art: Gun Control

I agonized for a long time over this project. I hate making myself known in any public space, and so the idea of having to put myself out there and talk to strangers terrified me. However, I found that I'm much more comfortable when judged objectively, and so I decided to base my performance art around our political climate today--more specifically, gun control.

It's been hotly debated on all sides, and so I threw my hat--and the sign on my hat--into the ring to fuel the flames. Due to my personal beliefs, and knowing they may be unpopular to the rest of the campus, I hoped to attract some interesting, perhaps explosive responses--yet all I'd attracted was genuine discussion, friendliness, and even a thumbs-up from a Campus Safety officer!

I quickly learned that no one would approach my table unprompted. So, to the horror of most passers-by, I began calling to them, asking them if they'd like to help me with a school project. About half refused, though the other half spoke. Most notably, the people who scowled at me from across the hallway, clearly agitated by my message, refused to defend their stance by speaking with me. 

I was very careful to frame my intentions as simply conducting a school project, to help relax people and coax them into seeing me as a neutral party. I believe I could get their opinions more naturally that way, and challenge those opinions without making them feel like they'd just stepped into a high-stakes political debate.

I spent about an hour and a half at my table, and overall I believe it was a rousing success! While at first I hated the idea of this project, I think it's awakened a little bit of a showman in me. Perhaps I could continue to make videos similar to this, if only to talk with people about topics I'm interested in, and engage them on a level beyond just typical two-party animosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment